Feb 8, 2012

Kwin GLES as default window manager in Kubuntu 11.10 and KDE 4.8

Kwin GLES has great performance on my Lenovo Thinkpad X220. It looks more snappy and also the battery last longer.

After upgrading my laptop to KDE 4.8 I was unable to start Kwin GLES as default window manager. The only way was to switch it in console:

kwin_gles --replace &

It's not very comfortable. I found this hint on ArchWiki, and adapt it for Kubuntu:

First, you need kwin_gles installed:

sudo apt-get install kde-window-manager-gles

When it is installed, create new file ...

sudo nano /usr/share/kde4/apps/ksmserver/windowmanagers/kwin_gles.desktop

... with this content:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=KWin GLES
Exec=kwin_gles
TryExec=kwin_gles
X-KDE-WindowManagerConfigure=systemsettings
X-KDE-WindowManagerRestartArgument=--replace

Now you can change the window manager in the system settings: Open System Settings, go to Window Manager, select Use a different window manager: and select KWin GLES.


Next time you start your KDE session, you will be using Kwin GLES!

5 comments:

  1. great post my friend... really helpful! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it.. Kubuntu is finally usable again!!

    Great - many thanks!

    Background: For two years I'm experiencing strange, yet increasing problems with Kubuntu on my ThinkPad T60/T60p. It started with version 10.10 which suffered from strange WLAN faults and random desktop lockups. The workaround for the WLAN problem slowed the wireless interface down so much that is was unusable.

    Since version 11.10 a problem with my USB keyboard came on top: Every now and then - but still regularly - the key last pressed was repeated endlesslyyyyyyyyy. And versions 12.04 and 12.10 also had the sound problem already known. The sound was distorted so much that listening to music and watching videos was impossible. The distortions were even worse with full screen video. The GUI ran quite slow and lagged (even on my 2.1 GHz machine).

    All these problems are gone now.

    But Kwin GLES only works with Kubuntu up to version 12.04(.01), not version 12.10. Here the screen refresh is faulty which makes using the desktop impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for the information you provide, it helped me a lot.I hope to have many more entries or so from you.
    Very interesting blog.
    Zemana Anti-Malware Premium Crack
    PhpStorm Crack
    Wondershare Recoverit Crack

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say I am impressed. I rarely come across a blog
    it's just as informative and interesting, and no doubt it's you
    a nail on the head. The problem is, too few people talk smart about it.
    I'm so glad I found this while searching about it.
    wifispoof crack with license key
    windows 10 crack activation key download
    movavi photo manager crack
    windows server 2016 crack

    ReplyDelete